I am working on an online class on..Impact Investing, you guess it right! I am putting below the preliminary syllabus. to be soon available on Udemy
- Lecture 1: Impact Investing: various definitions
- Lecture 2: Main players: From Foundations to Big Banks
- Lecture 3: The Impact Investing Process
- Lecture 4: Case Study 1: Investing in Microfinance
- Lecture 5: Case Study 2: Social Impact Bonds
- Lecture 6: Impact Investing – A world of dilemmas (part 1)
Dilemma 1 : Optimizing social or financial return?
Dilemma 2 : Early stage companies vs mature ones (local champion) . Should we help champions grow or invest in new ones?
Dilemma 3 : Submarket vs commericial return?
Dilemma 4 : What is needed vs what is “right”?
Dilemma 5 : Growth vs saturation?
Dilemma 6 : Temporary solutions vs long term progress?
- Lecture 7 : Impact Investing- A world of dilemmas (part 2)
Dilemma 8: Steering (toward female customers or difficult markets) vs letting the market decide
Dilemma 9: Investing with high valuation
Dilemma 10 : Tax optimization vs tax income for local countries
Dilemma 11: Local regulation vs international standards (and decrease in competitiveness?)
Dilemma 12: low end price (for end client) vs increasing profitability?
Dilemma 13: dependency on “cheap” funding vs development of local capital markets?
Dilemma 13: directly vs indirectly through local banks/funds?
Dilemma 14: intention vs measurable impact (and the hassle of measuring , i.e“social capital cost”)
- Lecture 8: How to get involved: How to become an impact investor as individual/ Career in impact investing
- Lecture 9: The future of the industry